Saturday, May 2, 2015

Praise Report and Water Lilies Galore!


Gratitude. Thankfulness. Blessings. Praise.

As I sit at the end of a memorable week, 
I am brought back to the very essence of appreciation. 
In the midst of agitation, tumult and turmoil, 
I am attempting to learn to stop myself in my tracks.
Breathe. Look for beauty. Exhale.
Count my blessings.
Back to basics.

The technical term for this sort of week is: cra-cra.
When every aspect of life starts to clamor. 

I've been saying, "things are all clamored up.' 
Another technical term.


This has been a MAJOR week. 
So many developments, nuances, the unexpected and even the deplorable.
A soup. A stew. A royal muck-up of ingredients. 

This has been a week of learning.
A lot of learning.
{Yup. I'm still learning.}
I've been asking myself a LOT of questions. 

Is this latest 'something' under my ability to 'control' or not? 
As I determine that something is NOT under my control, 
I need to learn to 'let-it-go.'
Cue: Disney sound track. 
No matter how upsetting or deplorable.

Easier said than done. 
Trust me. These are skills that can be honed. 
I have had more than sufficient reason to continue to practice.

And just how does one let 'it' go?

Here's one possibility.
Take a walk. 
Yup. I recommend taking a walk.
Profound. I know. 
The faster the better. 
Though a very slow walk is pretty awesome as well. 



Where you walk is up to you, but if at all possible get outside. 
Walking in the great outdoors has so many benefits: 

Fresh air. Oxygen. Pumping-those-ENDORPHINS. 

LITERALLY a change of scenery itself is beneficial.
Choosing a place with a known wow-factor is a no-brainer. 
And when I'm upset, a no-brainer is what I need. 



The clickity-clack of walking, pacing and moving  
all allow the mind to change channels.
If you are within proximity of a park or garden, 
head in that direction. 
Then start counting your blessings. 
Literally 'watch' your breath coming and going.
Count. 
Slow down your breathing. 
Take your camera. 
See if you can capture something delightful.
Be on the look out.
Watchfulness. 
Anticipation. 
Look for the smallest of details.
Look for the sweeping vista.
Look for color. Value. Shape. 
Just look. 
Willingness. 

Focusing on beauty takes the fore front of attention.
The frustration, even agony can then recede. 
Perspective is available. 
Breathing makes it all easier. 
Perspective is what you need in that moment. 
Nothing has changed, but perspective has been gained.
Hallelujah.


I reported last week about our recent purchase of a membership to our McKee Botanical Gardens. We ended up splurging and opting for an annual family pass. I promised you that I'd get my water lily pictures downloaded, and cropped. I'm back today to make good on my promise. Water lilies as therapy. Water lilies as appreciative fodder. Water lilies as meditation. Water lilies as perspective. 


Taking photographs of these beauties is not especially challenging. 
Even when you're upset. 
There are a ton at McKee. 
They sit there, posing.
Look for a splash of sunshine.
Point and capture. 
In this land of digital, take a bazillion. 
Something is bound to be in focus. 
Then crop. 
Voila. 
Thank you Creator. 

BTW: the color of the bloom below, was a TON more outrageous.


Seeing the photograph conjures the feeling of the color, 
but from the place in my brain where I attempted to store it. 
You get a glimmer from the photo, 
but probably not the feeling of total JOY that exploded in my heart,
upon seeing it float there suspended as though by angels.
I don't know that there is such a color outside of nature.
If so I don't know the name for it. 
My photography skills are not sufficient to convey the depth. 
But the photo is in the ballpark.
Getting into the beauty-ballpark is a WIN for the home team.
I am determined to rise above.
If you're keeping track? 
I'm claiming this as a victory.


This week there has been plenty to balance. 
Plenty to appreciate. 
Plenty to consider. 
Plenty to practice. 
Breathe.

Since we have an annual membership. 
We have returned. 
MORE photographs. 
More taking-of-the-breath-away beauties to capture.
More reason to focus.
More gratitude. More appreciation. 
More BLESSINGS.
MORE PERSPECTIVE.


How many water lilies can you appreciate in one article? 
Do you marvel at the variety? 

I don't "know" a thing about these. 
I don't know a water lily from a lotus. 

I'm excited at the prospect of learning.


What I do KNOW is their amazing capability to calm me. 
To focus me. 
To excite my senses and calm my nerves, 
all at once. 

I will prescribe NUMEROUS visits here when we return. 
Yesterday we said goodbye.


As I sit here typing, we are in the car. 
For the first GREAT snow-bird migration of 2015. 

Our critical worldly belongings are packed into a variety of containers. 
My sewing machine. 
His golf clubs.
My guitar. 
Clean undies for each--
and plenty of polka dots for the duration. 
The week leading up to our migration is fraught with lots of details. 
This year more so than ever. More on that at another time.


I've got to plan for ALL of the various events on the calendar from here to November. 
If I always did the 'same thing' it would be a lot easier.
Plus I have to select so that he can get it ALL to fit in our car. 

Sometimes I'm with itty-bitty wee ones. 
Sometimes I'm with big, mature, insightful ones. 
Sometimes I'm speaking to teachers of wee ones. 
Sometimes........ 

You get the idea. 
Variations of Debbie Clement require different props.
Packing. Details. Focus. Packing. Details. Focus.


That's not 'all' that has been clamoring for focus. 
So back it was to McKee Gardens. 

Saying good-bye for the season.


Walking the paths at the gardens, 
crossing the bridges, 
coming around the bend, 
to see these fireworks of color?
PRICELESS! 
They are a reminder of purity. 

There is purity in this world.
Find that purity and focus. 
TRUST. 
EXHALE. 
GRATITUDE.

All of the other nonsense will get taken care of in time.
How long does a single water lily bloom?
The things I don't know are astounding. 


What is it that creates those little ripples around the edge of some of the lily pads? 
I'm fascinated. 
Incredible detail. 

The flower blooming is fascinating, 
but attempting to capture it with nuance makes it more of a game.
The curl of a petal. 
The bud yet to bloom in the same frame?
Requires squatting lower.
The pooling of some water on the lily pad. 
Must be noticed first. 
All while conscientiously breathing.


Today was a seven hour drive. 
From our home in FL to my parent's home in Augusta...... 
with a stop to deliver a keynote in between, 
{thank you Space Coast AEYC for that reception!}
PLUS having a late luncheon send off after that
with a beloved sister-in-law and fam.
Are you keeping up with all of these blessings? 

So now to the cropping and the pondering. 
My mommy gets concerned about my balancing act. 

She knows some of the 'rest-of-the-story' 
and other cats-in-the-bag, yet to be told. 
That's the life-long job of mommies --
to show concern and support, even in the midst of the juggling. 
Eternal cheerleading: 
"I think you can, I think you can, I think you can."

*I took this next picture to be able to add a quote in the corner. 
Seriously. I thought that through. 
While I was selecting THE bloom and posing it.
Darkness of background, lends itself to quote insertion.


Tomorrow is a nine and a half hour drive. 
We will join my parents for breakfast and then on to church together.
Then hugs and a probable few tears. 
I'm already imagining the brevity of that visit, 
as we push on to the WonderPeep Central, 24 hours from now. 
The end goal is Detroit on Monday evening. 
Whew. 

The point of that digression, 
is to share that I will search for a quote to add to the photo above. 

This next one also has room for quote adding. 
Upper left hand corner. 
You'll have to return to see what I come up with.
So now I attempt to snap the photo with background for quote adding.
Bloggers will understand.



Look at this next incredible juxtaposition of bloom against floating polka dots.
I get giddy looking at this one. 
Makes me giggle.
Out loud. 
Did a committee of angels conjure this sensory delight?
FIREWORKS!



Mommy. I told you that I had some photos you would appreciate. 
I took them for you. 
I knew you'd enjoy them -- 
 which would allow me to be enthralled all over again. 

Your word-smithing over their preening for me, 
would be the perfect circle of completion. 

I can hear your descriptive consideration. 
You can start with this next one. 
I think it is my favorite. 

Who knew you could have such variations on pure white petals? 
Or maybe you can use white-ish in your poetic consideration. 
What rhymes with white-ish? 
I'll await your insight. 
As you conjure rhymes for white. 
{Couldn't resist.}



What is that over-sized podium in the middle up above? 
It looks Dr. Seussian. 
Clueless. 
No idea. 
Did I not take high school biology?
Shouldn't I have some lily terminology retention?
Doesn't matter. At all. 
Maybe better that I am so utterly without terminology.
Still calms me.
Makes me marvel all the more. 
Enthralls and delights. 
Which is the win! Yes. I am keeping score for beauty.

As I attempt to learn from pondering the lilies, 
as I attempt to balance the sorrow and the sweet,
I conclude with this final image.  



It is the reflection that first captured my attention. 
The reflection. 
Our actions in this world travel forth. 
Emanating outward. 
Rippling beyond our immediate influence into the wider world. 
Beauty and truth beget further beauty.

23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...