Friday, October 5, 2012

Graphic Quilt Response Thank You

Fine Motor Friday! Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts!
Third grade response to Debbie Clement Author-Illustrator School Visit.

photo of: Fine Motor Leads to Fine Arts Part 31 via RainbowsWithinReach

People always ask me what grades are appropriate for my author visit to their school. That's a very legitimate question and one that I enjoy sorting through to get to the best outcome for my time on site. As the author-illustrator of 'picture books' I sense that my host is guessing that my time would be well spent with the kinder-kiddos and perhaps add the first graders as well. That's how some visits unfold. 

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

What I want to share with you today are the amazing responses from two of the classes of THIRD graders from one of my end-of-the-year-spring visits. Imagine my enthusiasm to open a package this summer and find this INCREDIBLE and mature artistic response to my work!!!! Simply over-the-moon. 

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

Truth be told. After the entire building of second and third graders gathered together in the gym for my songs and dances and antics and sharing and laughter and learning, we had just enough time for me to visit in the classroom of the third grade combined team. What fun to go 'on their turf' with a smaller sized group and offer the opportunity for interaction. Questions. Inquiries. Insight. A synopsis of what their favorite parts were from the huge assembly. 

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

But then................ it is a brilliant teacher -- or team of teachers as this case demonstrates, that knows how to 'extend' the lesson of our visit and time together, into an exercise of writing and reflection, coupled with individual artistic response. Just how brilliant are these illustrations? Just how amazing is this student work as it reflects the style of my quilts? The ol' Art teacher in me rejoices!!!! These pieces are the dimensions of over-sized postcards. Just perfect!
Each student created their own original Art, most chose magic markers -- and then they each wrote their own letter of thanks on the back. 

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

When was the last time you had your students write "old fashioned" thank you letters? In the ever pressing crush of student testing and Common Core and evaluations and standards being met and the enormous pressure on teachers to get their ducks in a row and proving their merit -- a package like this is pure gold. PURE GOLD. Because this work represents time. Time was devoted to achieve this level of excellence. 

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

What a perfect connection between written work and Fine Arts. 
I couldn't have designed a more fitting exercise if I were to design it myself!! 



photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

photo of: Graphic Drawings from Third Graders with Thank You Letter

Here's just a brief recap of some of the Art. 
I think Halmark would be happy to purchase many of these for their greeting card division. 

I am so inspired by this response. 
AMAZING!!!! 




-- Debbie --

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...