Sunday, July 4, 2010

Illustration #15 of 16





Here's the work that I have begun for the 15th illustration for my upcoming picture book: "Red, White and Blue." The song is from my fourth album. I wrote it the Friday morning after 9/11, while I was preparing for Tot Shabbot at the New Albany JCC. That Friday was the national day of prayer, mourning, and reflection. I was genuinely overwhelmed at the thought of leading singing that morning. I realized that I had a "flag bag." Literally a bag with stars and stripes filled with small flags for the children. I realized that perhaps what the parents and grandparents needed to see that morning was the next generation holding flags and singing.

What could I teach them in our brief twenty minutes together, before we all gathered at the end of the morning to light the candles?

"Red, white and blue.... I love you.
Red, white and blue..... I love you.
Sing for our country, sing for our country, sing for our country, America brave and true.
Sing for our country, sing for our country, sing for our country, America I love you."

This is the fifteenth quilt of 16 needed to publish the thirty-two page picture book format. I'll keep you posted as I make progress. I'd like to get this one finished this week -- before I leave for Vegas. I get to be the guest of Zaner-Bloser at SDE's I Teach Kindergarten national conference. This time next week I'll be out there in the desert. I know: hydrate!! And keep my camera batteries charged at all times. Last time I was there, I 'missed' taking a personal picture with Elvis due to weary batteries. I'll be ready this time.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...