Monday, April 27, 2009

Brooke: Sign Interpreter


Meet Brooke. My sign language interpreter for the program at Birchard Public Library. Brooke is a student learning ASL and our program together was one of her first for the public. It was hard to tell who was more excited? Me? The children in attendance or Brooke? We had a chance to put our heads together for a few minutes before the audience arrival and talked thru the likely selections for the program. [I always have about three times more choices than we have time for. Then I wait to see the age and attention span of those in the audience and I go from there.]

At today's event the youngest participants were very mature four year olds and we ranged from there up to an eleven year old. So we were able to use lots of 'big-kid' songs. Several of the children were at the event yesterday, so they had 'favorites' of their own and made requests. I totally forgot to get my camera out to take shots during the event. Argggggh. First time I've done that in a while.

We were significantly outnumbered by the adults in attendance, as quite a few ASL students/teachers/librarians had come for the show. Some had driven quite a distance. What a great outreach to the community. I thought Brooke added much to the program. Whooooohooooooo!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LUV to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts so we can interact!!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!

Thanks for your support! I am so appreciative of your pins!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...